Take action with Hackney Unemployed Workers…
Here’s some dates for the diary. Get in touch to find out more!
- Every Thursday – Meeting 12 noon – 1pm in Cafe Bohemia – come along if you want to get involved with the group or find out more!
- This Thursday 23rd 7.30pm – Hackney Against Cuts public meeting (More details below – can you help with our stall?)
- Sat 2nd Oct – Jumble Sale for London Coalition Against Poverty, 11am-2pm, St John’s Church, Hackney Central (More details below)
- Sat 23rd Oct – Possible date for demonstration in hackney against cuts (see below)
- Sun 24th Oct – National meeting of No to Welfare Abolition network in London – get in touch if you’re interested in coming along
Fighting Sanctions… and winning!
Hackney Unemployed Workers found out this summer that Jobcentres are told by the government to refer 6% of claimants for sanctions. They aim to cut benefit money to 3% of people so if you’ve been sanctioned for no reason this is probably why.
- We want to challenge this legally with the London Coalition Against Poverty and need your stories of sanctioning to support the case. Get in touch if you have been sanctioned unfairly and are willing to share your story!
- We are also fighting this in Hackney and winning people’s cases. Watch this space for the full story…
Making links around the country and spreading the word
- On the day that £4 billion cuts to benefits were announced, a member of our group spoke to BBC 5live radio. She told them “No-one chooses to live on £65 a week… Cameron says we’re all in this together, but we’re not. The rich don’t live on barely enough to survive.”
- This month, we met with lots of other claimants’ groups from around the country and planned to support each other in the coming months. By sharing information and stories of success, we can be much stronger!
- Hackney Unemployed Workers also contributed to a conference at the University of Kent last week on Welfare Reform.
There will be a Jumble Sale – 2nd October 2010, 11 am – 2 pm at St John–at-Hackney Church on Lower Clapton Rd, E5!
To raise money Hackney Housing Group will be selling high quality jumble – clothes, books, household items, DVDs, music, bric – a – brac all at amazingly cheap prices. There will be African & Turkish food on sale as well as tea, coffee and cake. There will be children’s activities going on all day including face painting.
All money raised will go towards London Coalition Against Poverty activities such as securing good housing for our members and campaigning against poverty.
We need your help! Please collect jumble and ask your friends to collect jumble and come along on the day. Jumble can be stored at the LCAP office before hand or if you have a lot and want us to pick it up call us on – 07931 698 438 . We also need lots of people to help out on the day as well as come and buy things. Contact us for more information.
Hackney Against Cuts
Hackney Alliance to Defend Public Services are bringing together different community and trade union groups in Hackney to campaign against the cuts.
Coming up, they have a public meeting this Thursday 23rd Sept, 7.30pm at Round Chapel Powerscroft Rd. London Coalition Against Poverty and Hackney Unemployed Workers hope to have a stall there. If you can help,email email@example.com
Next month, they plan a demonstration following the budget to influence the council before it starts making cuts. Pencil these dates in your diary… more info to follow: Demo on Sat 23rd Oct in Hackney Central. Lobby of council on Wed 27th Oct.